A fun and flexible way to help the animals and generate funds for the shelter is to volunteer at the HSCO Thrift Store. The store raises 40% of yearly revenue for the programs and services we offer in Central Oregon. Volunteers play an essential role in our Thrift Store operations by assisting customers, receiving donations, sorting and pricing items, while working in conjunction with HSCO staff.
“I started volunteering when I first moved to Bend in 2007 because I was so relieved to finally live in a town with a first-rate shelter for homeless animals. Since I could not bear to look into the hopeful eyes of the animals when I visited, I decided to put my retail skills to use, earning money for their caregivers. And when I was rewarded with the sincere appreciation of the Thrift Store Staff, it was a no-brainer to come volunteer every chance I got.” – Meredith S.
We are looking for volunteers who:
- Like to have fun
- Work well with customers
- Like to learn new skills and share your skills with us
- Can commit to a minimum of 2 hours per shift and 8-10 hrs. per month, unless otherwise discussed with management
- Are over 16 years of age
Benefits of volunteering at the HSCO Thrift Store:
- Help raise needed funds for shelter animals
- Practice and learn new skills
- Meet new people
- Gain hands-on experience in a retail environment
- An online volunteer application must be submitted for consideration into the HSCO Volunteer Program.
- Make a commitment of six months with a minimum of 1 two-hour shift per week. Your individual availability will be considered; please discuss this with the Volunteer Department. We do not accept short-term volunteer due to extensive training requirements.
- Attend a mandatory volunteer orientation and any other trainings based on your volunteer placement
- If you need community service hours for Court Mandated Hours please read the requirements here.
- If you need community service hours for school projects, please visit the Service Opportunities for Students page here.
- Individuals 16 years and older may volunteer without direct adult supervision, but in some individual cases supervision may be required and is at the discretion of Management. Both the youth and the adult must complete individual applications.
- Have regular access to the Internet and an email account.
- Every applicant (age 18 years or older) will need to pass a background check.
- There is a nonrefundable $25.00 on-boarding fee which includes the background check, HSCO volunteer t-shirt, ID badge & training. All approved volunteers will be responsible for the fee prior to completing the background check. T-shirts will be provided at the completion of the first shift. This insures that we are able to dedicate more resources to our animals and we thank you for your support. If this constitutes a financial hardship for you, you may request a fee waiver by contacting us directly.
Volunteer Orientation & Training
A general volunteer orientation is mandatory for all approved applicants. This orientation introduces you to the volunteer program and opportunities, as well as HSCO’s programs, services and policies. After completing this orientation, you will then sign up for specific trainings based on your volunteer placement. Volunteers that have been inactive for over six months are required to attend a refresher course to be updated on the volunteer program. Any volunteer that has been inactive for over one year need to reapply for the program.
HSCO Thrift Store Volunteer Application
We welcome you to apply to our volunteer program if you can meet the above requirements.
If you are also interested in volunteering at the HSCO Shelter, you must fill out a HSCO Shelter Volunteer Application as well. Click here to learn about the Shelter Volunteer application process.