The HSCO Shelter Volunteer Program has a variety of volunteer opportunities. Below is a brief description of the most common opportunities. Please check with the volunteer department to see what opportunities are available.
- Canine Companion- Volunteers socialize, train, groom and provide enrichment to the dogs in our care.
- Feline Friend- Volunteers socialize, train, groom and provide enrichment to the cats in our care.
- Events and Community Outreach- Volunteers assist at off-site events by educating the public about responsible pet ownership, providing information about HSCO and promoting adoptions.
- Vet Clinic Assistant- Clinic volunteers aid the clinic team in stocking, cleaning and recovering animals post surgery .
- An online volunteer application must be submitted for consideration into the HSCO Volunteer Program.
- Make a commitment of six months with a minimum of 1 two-hour shift per week. Your individual availability will be considered; please discuss this with the Volunteer Department. We do not accept short-term volunteer due to extensive training requirements.
- Attend a mandatory volunteer orientation and any other trainings based on your volunteer placement
- If you need community service hours for Court Mandated Hours please read the requirements on that specific page.
- If you need community service hours for school projects, please visit the Service Opportunities for Students page.
- Minimum age to volunteer is 9 years old. All youth 15 and younger must be actively accompanied by an adult with direct supervision at all times when volunteering. Individuals 16 years and older may volunteer without direct adult supervision, but in some individual cases supervision may be required and is at the discretion of Management. Both the youth and the adult must complete individual applications.
- Have regular access to the Internet and an email account.
Volunteer Orientation & Training
A general volunteer orientation is mandatory for all approved applicants. This orientation introduces you to the volunteer program and opportunities, as well as HSCO’s programs, services and policies. After completing this orientation, you will then sign up for specific trainings based on your volunteer placement. Volunteers that have been inactive for over six months are required to attend a refresher course to be updated on the volunteer program. Any volunteer that has been inactive for over one year need to reapply for the program.
HSCO Shelter Volunteer Application
We welcome you to apply to our volunteer program if you can meet the above requirements.
If you are interested in the Foster Program, please click here.
If you are interested in the Thrift Store, please click here.