A fun and flexible way to help the animals and generate funds for the shelter is to volunteer at the HSCO Thrift Store. The store raises approximately 40% of yearly revenue for the programs and services we offer in Central Oregon. Volunteers play an essential role in our Thrift Store operations by assisting customers, receiving donations, sorting and pricing items, while working in conjunction with HSCO staff.
We are looking for volunteers who:
• Like to have fun
• Work well with customers or behind the scenes
• Like to learn new skills and share your skills with us
• Are 16 or older to volunteer on your own or 12-15 with a parent/guardian.
Benefits of volunteering at the HSCO Thrift Store:
• Help raise needed funds for shelter animals
• Practice and learn new skills
• Meet new people
• Gain hands-on experience in a retail environment
• An online volunteer application must be submitted for consideration into the HSCO Volunteer Program.
• Make a commitment of six months with a minimum of 1 two-hour shift per week. Your individual availability will be considered; please discuss this with the Volunteer Department.
• Attend a mandatory volunteer orientation and any other trainings based on your volunteer placement
• If you need community service hours for Court Mandated Hours please read the requirements here.
• If you need community service hours for school projects, please visit the Service Opportunities for Students page here.
• Individuals 16 years and older may volunteer without direct adult supervision, but in some individual cases supervision may be required and is at the discretion of Management. Both the youth and the adult must complete individual applications.
• Have regular access to the Internet and an email account.
• Every applicant (age 18 years or older) will need to pass a background check.
• There is a nonrefundable on-boarding fee which includes the background check, HSCO volunteer t-shirt, ID badge & training. $25 on-board fee for volunteers 18 years and older, $15 on-board fee for youth under 18 years. All approved volunteers will be responsible for the fee prior to completing the background check. T-shirts will be provided at the completion of the first shift. This insures that we are able to dedicate more resources to our animals and we thank you for your support. If this constitutes a financial hardship for you, you may request a fee waiver by contacting the volunteer manager directly.
Volunteer Orientation & Training
A general volunteer orientation is mandatory for all approved applicants. This orientation introduces you to the volunteer program and opportunities, as well as HSCO’s programs, services and policies. After completing this orientation, you will then sign up for specific trainings based on your volunteer placement. Volunteers that have been inactive for over six months may be required to attend a refresher course to be updated on the volunteer program.
Getting Started & HSCO Thrift Store Volunteer Application
Thank you for considering service at our thrift store. The animals appreciate it. Please give us a call with any questions you might have at 541.382.3537